Mar 8, 2007

Asia Trek Overview

I left Shanghai at the end of February. I'll settle down again in August, in Hong Kong with Carmen, where I'll be working the same job and finally start learning Cantonese.

In the meantime, I've got quite a trip planned. In March, I'll be in Yunnan, which is in SW China, right next to Tibet and South East Asia. It supposed to be one of the most beautiful places in the world. First off I'll be in the NW with all my co-workers from both the Shanghai and Thailand office (30+ people) for a company trip and we're also gonna make some donations to local schools. Then I'll be meeting up with my college buddy, Ben Morse, and his girlfriend to travel for a few weeks.

April is a bit fuzzy. I might be back in Shanghai for the tea harvest. The Ian Hanks Charity foundation might also be making its first donation then. More on that later.

Mid April I'll be with my dad in Hong Kong, Hanoi and Anker Wat and then near the end of the month I'll be up in Beijing China meeting up with high school friends Tracey and Lauren.

The first week of May is a week long holiday in China so a bunch of my friends will be traveling. I might stay in Beijing for a huge, outside, 3 day rock concert.

The rest of May I plan to be with my cousin Mark trekking along the silk road from Xian (China's Ancient Capital) to Kashgar, in the very NW corner of China. Then back to Hong Kong (you'll notice I'm doing some ridiculous zigzagging...) by mid June where I'll be meeting up with my good college buddy, Ethan.

I'm gonna propose to him that we loosely follow China's ancient tea route from Yunnan to Tibet, with a few stops along the way, some of which I'll have been too by that point, and to some new unexplored spots.

Then back to the US for most of July with a plan to settle in HK around Aug 1.

Gonna be so rad. Get ready for some sweet photos.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Ian,
It's good to see your blog up again, and I really like the new format. Have a great time in Hong Kong and all of China, and I'll be looking forward to hearing your stories when we're in Austin together this summer.
Billy

Unknown said...

lauren and i are going to get our chinese visas in two days! we are so excited to see you soon!

tracey

Anonymous said...

Nice to see your blog again,your tirp seems fantastc.I wish I can be there with you,have some fun and relax like what we did in YangShuo before.Hope you can come visit me soon,I think I have a lot of things to talk to you.Enjoy your trip.

Mark said...

Ian - like this new page. Check your email because I need your help with tickets to Xi'an from Beijing. Your schedule looks exciting and hectic. Looking forward to seeing you and China. I'm tunneling through my Silk Road library. - Mark

Anonymous said...

Hey Ian: Took me a while to find your blog today but I did. I got an email from Christian Goop who is down in Peru. He has been following your postings and that made me know I needed to find you again.

I am around in Austin much of the summer. Call me or email me and let me know when you will be here in July. Cell is 848-8165. I am already working on the month I will spend in Asia doing school work in the fall mostly October and November. I will look forward to seeing you in Hong Kong.

Saw Louise at graduation but didn't get to say much.

Love hearing of all your adventures.

Sarah Todd